Shaker cake toppers have become very popular, and it’s easy to see why! They are a really fun way to personalize cakes for any occasion. They are also fun (and easy) to make with your Cricut! I’ve had a lot of requests for this tutorial, so today I’ll be showing you how simple it is to put these cake toppers together.
In this tutorial, I’ll share my free cake topper shaker svg that you can use to make shaker cake toppers for all different occasions. I will also share different designs and graphics for specific designs that you guys have been requesting.
Materials & SVG Templates for Shaker Cake Topper
- Medium Weight Cardstock and/or Glitter Cardstock
- Metalic Paper – I use these iridescent square sheets
- Craft Foam Sheets
- Sequin Confetti
- Chunky Glitter
- Clear Craft Plastic
- Hot Glue Gun or Craft Glue
- Decorative Lollipop sticks – I found mine at Hobby Lobby
- Cricut Machine and Cutting Mat
- Free shaker cake topper template
Download the Free Shaker Cake Topper Template
To get this Cake Topper Shaker SVG file, enter your name and email into the form below and then click the “Get It Now!” button!
Please remember these are for personal use only. If you’re looking to sell products using these designs, please purchase a Commercial Use License here.
How to Make a Shaker Cake Topper
For detailed instructions, make sure to watch the video below.
Cut All of Your Pieces
- Begin by cutting out the clear craft plastic. Use the transparency plastic setting and add more for the pressure. If you are not using a deep point blade, then you will have to peel the plastic from the circle, but it will come out just fine.
- Next, cut your craft foam using a standard grip cutting mat that is still very sticky. If you do not have a deep point blade, you will have to peel the foam from the perforated lines, but it will come out just fine.
- Cut your remaining pieces that you will need for your designs using the proper material settings. If you are using the iridescent square sheets, then use the party foil settings for this material.
Assemble Your Toppers
- To assemble, start with the clear plastic circle and foam and glue the clear plastic circle on top of the foam.
- Next, add your sequin confetti and/or chunky glitter to the center of your base piece. If you are using the iridescent square sheets, make sure to first glue this on top of your base piece. You can add as many sequins and glitter as you want. I like to go heavy with this and use a mixture of sequins and glitter.
- Glue the clear plastic and foam layer on top of your base piece with the confetti. Make sure to glue the foam part to the base so that there is space for the confetti.
- Now that your shaker base is completed, you can glue on all of the details that you want to add. The video (below) will show you in detail how to do this. Also, continue to scroll down to see different examples of how you can design these in Cricut Design Space.
- Attach a lollipop stick to the back of your cake topper using glue. You only need to glue this about 1 inch in height from the base.
Watch the full step-by-step video tutorial on How to a Shaker Cake Topper:
Shaker Cake Topper Ideas
When you download the cake topper shaker SVG, you’ll notice there are multiple folders. I have also included files for the cake topper designs that were requested the most! With these designs, you’ll be able to easily create these shaker cake toppers:
For this princess cake topper, you will need to find your own princess image. Just use the print then cut feature to add this. You can use the print then cut feature to create cake toppers using your favorite characters!
You can also use the offset feature to add borders to your text for your designs to really stand out!
I love making shaker cake toppers! And I especially love how you can easily personalize them for any holiday or occasion! I’ve got a ton of free svg files that you can use for your cake toppers as well.