This post may contain Affiliate Links. Read my full disclosure for more info
These Cricut Spotify DIY projects have become pretty popular. They are such a unique and personalized gift idea for any occasion. With Mother’s Day approaching, I knew I had to make a Spotify Code Keychain as a personal gift for my mom. Download this free Spotify Code Template below to create your own Spotify Code Keychain with the step-by-step directions below!
You can use any song on Spotify to create these keychains. It’s fun to make them personal. For my mom, I made one from a Kenny Chesney concert we went to with her favorite Kenny Chesney song. For more project ideas, view all of my free SVG cut Files.
Materials Needed to Make a Spotify Code Keychain
You really don’t need many materials to make these Spotify keychains. You will have to purchase multiple keychain blanks as these are not sold as a single item. But, they are inexpensive and can be used to create personalized gifts for anyone. I will be using these keychain blanks to create Spotify keychains for a favor for my daughter’s 9th birthday!
To make these Spotify code keychains, you will need:
- Acrylic Rectangle Keychains – If you are using my Spotify Code Template, make sure to purchase these acrylic keychains since they are the size needed for this template.
- Black Permanent Adhesive Vinyl – Since I use black vinyl often, I buy black permanent adhesive in bulk here to save money and so I always have this vinyl on hand!
- Printable Adhesive Vinyl – This is to use for your picture. I recommend using this adhesive vinyl paper. It’s high quality, water proof and will last! This paper is great for making stickers for both water bottles and laptops as well.
- Inkjet Color Printer – You will need an inkjet color printer for printable adhesive vinyl. I recommend this All-In-One HP Color Printer for a high quality printer that is under $100 if you need one.
- Cricut Maker or Explore Air 2 Cutting Machine (or any other cutting machine) and this machine mat for cutting.
- Spotify Code Keychain Template SVG (Download Below)
- Tassels – So, you don’t need tassels, but they are a great addition if you want to add them. These are the tassels that I use with my Cricut keychain projects.
- Pink or Red Permanent Adhesive Vinyl (optional, if you would like to make the heart a different color) – The heart is small enough, so you probably have a scrap piece of adhesive vinyl to use for it. Just make sure it’s permanent!
- Modge Pod – For sealing the vinyl on the keychain. Your project will be fine without this, but this will make your project last longer and give it a finished look. I use this acrylic sealer.
How to Make a Spotify Code Keychain
Although these keychains are easy to make, there are a few steps involved:
- Download the Spotify Code Keychain Template SVG
- Generate your Spotify Code as an SVG
- Upload your SVG files to Cricut Design Space
- Prepare your images in Cricut Design Space
- Cut and weed your vinyl
- Adhere the vinyl to your keychain
Please remember these are for personal use only. If you’re looking to sell products using these designs please purchase a Commercial Use License here.
How to Get a Spotify Code For a Song
Go to Spotify here, and login to your account. If you don’t have an account, it’s free to create one, so go ahead and create one. Once you are logged in, open the web player (unless you are on your phone).
- In the Search Bar, search for your song. Then, play your song.
- Click the 3 dots (…) to the right of your screen.
- Select Share. Then, select Copy Song Link or Copy Spotify URI.
Now go to the Spotify Codes website to create your code: https://www.spotifycodes.com
In the code field, erase the code already in the box, and then paste your own code. Click on GET SPOTIFY CODE.
A new box will appear. Just change the Format from JPEG to SVG. Then click download.
Upload your SVG files to Cricut Design Space
Next you need to upload both the keychain template SVG and the Spotify Code SVG to Cricut Design Space. If you are new to uploading svg files to Cricut Design Space, this tutorial will walk you through the steps to do this.
In your layers panel, hide the black rectangle behind your spotify code.
Next, resize your spotify code to fit within your Keychain template. You can do this by selecting the spotify code and entering 1.85 in the height field. Select both the spotify code and keychain template and select Center Horizontally to align them together.
Using the text tool, add your Spotify song and artist. Select your song, artist and keychain template together and Align Left.
Then, upload your photo. Make sure to choose Complex when uploading this. Save as a Print Then Cut Image and Continue.
You will need to ungroup the Spotify Keychain Template layers. To do this, select the layer and click UnGroup.
Resize your photo and drag it behind the square layer. Use the square for sizing reference to adjust your photo size. When in place, select your photo layer and square layer an select Slice.
Delete your unwanted slice results so that you are left with just your Spotify cover image. Make any adjustment to the format of the text that you would like. Then, change the color of your Spotify code to match your template. Select your template layer, song name, artist and code and select Attach to attach your layers together.
Cut and Weed Your Vinyl
When you cut your vinyl, you will be using both your adhesive vinyl and your printable vinyl. The first mat you will need to prepare is with your print and cut vinyl. Follow the instructions on your cricut to print your design, load your mat and cut. Here is a step by step tutorial on using the print then cut feature if you need more help with this.
Once you have printed and cut your picture, prepare your second mat and cut your vinyl. If using a different color for the heart, then prepare your mat again to cut your final design. Weed all the excess vinyl from your designs. When you weed your vinyl, you are removing the vinyl that is not part of your project. Your project designs should all be left on the original backing when you are done.
Make sure to go slow when weeding your Spotify code. If this is altered in any way, the code may not work. If you are having trouble weeding this, cut your Spotify code separate. Then, attach the code to your transfer tape BEFORE weeding. You will want to remove the lines inside the Spotify circle logo before doing this. Then, pull off the extra vinyl slowly. The transfer tape will hold the code in place while you pull away the extra vinyl.
Adhere the Vinyl to Your Keychain
Before transferring your design to your keychain, you will want to transfer everything to transfer tape. This way, you can make sure everything is lined up properly before adhering it to your keychain. Make sure to use your scraper to help transfer your design to the transfer tape.
You can now place your design on your keychain. Use your scraper to adhere your design. An optional step is to seal your design. Sealing your design will give it a smooth finish and a longer life. I recommend using this matte modge podge for sealing your Spotify code keychain.
If you have any charms or tassels to add, you can add these as soon as the modge podge has dried.
How to Use Your Spotify Code Keychain
These keychains turned out amazing! But, it helps to know how to use them. To use your keychain, just open up Spotify on your phone.Click on the Search icon and then click the camera next to the search bar. This will open your camera to scan your code. Once the code is scanned, the song will automatically start playing!
Note: You do need the Spotify logo with your code. This is part of the code and it will not work without it.
I hope you have a lot of fun making these Spotify keychains for gifts! Please help to grow this site by sharing this link on your favorite social media site!