DIY Back to School Chalkboard Sign
This post may contain Affiliate Links. Read my full disclosure for more info
This back to school chalkboard sign is great for first day of school pictures. This tutorial will show you how you can create a first day of school sign by applying adhesive vinyl to a chalkboard (or whiteboard if you prefer). The combination of permanent adhesive vinyl and chalk allows you to reuse this sign for many years to come. This design is compatible with Cricut, Silhouette and other cutting machines. It’s easy to resize, change colors and customize however you’d like.
How to make a Back to School Chalkboard Sign
To make this first day of school sign, you will need:
- A chalkboard (or whiteboard) – This chalkboard has the perfect dimensions to go with this design. If you go with something larger, you will need to cut the design across multiple mats. If you prefer a white board, this white board has the perfect dimensions to go with this design.
- Washable Chalk Markers – You can use regular chalk as well, but I love how smooth these chalk markers write.
- Permanent Adhesive Vinyl – You want to make sure you have permanent vinyl for this project. I recommend this white permanent adhesive vinyl and this black permanent adhesive vinyl. This variety pack is great for adding more color to your chalkboard.
- Cricut Maker or Explore Air 2 Cutting Machine (or any other cutting machine) and this standard grip machine mat for cutting.
- These Weeding Tools for removing the excess vinyl (or something similar)
- This scraper or something similar to adhere and smooth your vinyl to your wooden board.
- Transfer Tape to transfer your design to your chalkboard sign. This is my favorite brand for Transfer Tape
- Back to School Chalkboard Sign SVG (Download Below)
To make this first day of school sign:
- First, create a new project in Cricut Design Space
- Then, upload your SVG File
- Resize your file. If you are using the chalkboard recommended here, adjust your width to 11.5 inches and this will work perfectly.
- Prepare your mat and send your design to cut.
If you are new to using adhesive vinyl, make sure to check out this full tutorial on applying adhesive vinyl.
Before downloading this graphic, please share this design on Pinterest. It’s quick to do and makes a HUGE impact to keep SVG Nation’s designs free to you.
This free SVG cut file comes in a single ZIP file with the following file formats:
- SVG cut file for Cricut Design Space, Silhouette Designer Edition, Inksape, Adobe Suite and more.
- DXF file for Silhouette users.You can open this with the free software version of Silhouette.
- PNG file with transparent background and 300 dpi resolutions.
- EPS file to use with Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape and more.
To get this Back to School SVG file, enter your name and email into the form below and then click the “Get It Now!” button!
Please remember these are for personal use only. If you’re looking to sell products using these designs please purchase a Commercial Use License here.